In celebration of a year in Zambia, I’ve decided to make a list of how my life has changed in the past year.
1. I answer the question “how are you?” at least 50 times a day.
2. My name is no longer Laura, more frequently I’m called Rolla, Nora, Lola, or musungu (white person).
3. I’ve taken a total of 5 hot showers with water pressure and adjustable temperature, and they were glorious.
4. I have a twin. Since my friend Ellyn and I are both blonde, wear glasses, and spend a lot of time together, naturally, we must be twins. We have convinced many Zambians of this. The word for twin in Bemba is mpundu.
5. I haven’t had a hair cut in a year and a couple weeks, and plan on going another year (no dreads though, I know what you’re thinking).
6. I dream of drinking a Starbucks Caramel Frappuccino again one day.
7. I like chocolate. I never used to eat chocolate anything.
8. I haven’t driven a car in a year, but am pretty good on a bike.
9. The food I eat brings a whole new meaning to “fresh,” as I regularly pick avocados or mangos from my trees and eat them, or watch the chicken I’ll be eating for dinner being killed 2 hours beforehand.
10. Using a real, flushing toilet is a novelty.
11. My bedtime is 7:30 or 8:00, 8:30 if it’s a wild night.
12. Hitch hiking is a phenomenon I wish were safe in America. There is something incredibly thrilling about riding in the back of a large pickup truck at 100 km/hr. I’ve hitched across the country and into other countries in canter trucks, SUVs, and semi’s, and met some very interesting people.
13. Children and adults love to pet my skin or stroke my hair. I guess to make sure it’s real?
14. Conversations with fellow PCV’s usually involve food we miss from America. Like bagels, salads from the Cheesecake Factory, hummus, breadsticks from Olive Garden, cheeseburgers, turkey sandwiches on wheat bread, etc.
15. After about a week and a half in the village by myself, I begin talking to myself, dancing alone in my hut, and chasing the children around my yard (they love it).
16. My thighs are very, very white. Amatantas are a private part here, and I really don’t know if I’ll ever be able to wear short shorts without feeling naked.
17. It no longer makes me cringe to eat Zambian food, which is soaked in cooking oil and salt. In fact, I eat nshima with my family every day. Still wondering why all the girls gain weight here?
18. I have an incredibly high tolerance for uncomfortable situations. Standing on a bus for 8 hours in the middle aisle while my ankles swell up? Sure! Sleep in a truck all night because it broke down? Hey, at least it’s not the side of the road!
19. Hand washing and the African sun has left most of my clothing faded and covered in patches. Good thing there’s no fashion police here.
20. I make children cry all the time.
After a year’s worth of packages sent from home (thanks everyone who has sent one!), I have a short list of my favorite things to receive, you know, for future reference:
o Tea!!!
o Photos- Then I can hang them in my hut and see you every day J
o Music
o Letters- I want to know how you’re doing, yes, you!
o Granola bars
o Clothes (see 19)
No comments:
Post a Comment