Friday, November 27, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Yesterday was as close to a "real" Thanksgiving as possible, as my Peace Corps family gathered to celebrate the holiday in the sweltering African heat. It was complete with frozen turkey, chicken, and duck. The duck was even chased around the yard, killed, and plucked all by my fellow volunteers. It was a great time to share our traditions with one another, and even some of our wonderful Zambian friends. I must admit, the heat, lack of football and snow, and being without my family definitely had it's difficult moments. Luckily, my Peace Corps family is a pretty close second, and we had a great Thanksgiving together. I also received a fantastic homemade video from my friends at home yesterday, and was happily singing "Bong diddy bong bong" all night long!

Life in the village is...quiet! School finishes today for the holidays, and won't start up again until mid- January. This leaves my work in the village pretty much up to my imagination. So, I've just started a compost pile with some of the Ba Maayos in the area, as well as a permagarden for some vegetables. December might be a bit of a slow month, but that will make Christmas vacation that much more exciting to go to Malawi! 6 of my PC friends and I have planned a 9 day trip to Lake Malawi, complete with beaches, boats, snorkeling, and full moon parties for New Years. Should be great fun, and a bit different from the typical CO Christmas.

I hope this message finds everyone at home enjoying the fall and coming of winter, happy Black Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment