Greetings from Zambia! It has been awhile since I've been to Kasama when the internet is working, but I'm here now, and perfectly happy after just having inhaled an ice cream cone. Life at site is great, I'm enjoying settling in to my new home in Mungwi. Tonight I'm staying at my friend Ellyn's house, where we'll be making spaghetti, salad, and garlic bread for dinner. Sometimes it's great to have American food and speak in English with my fellow PCV's. Thanks for the spaghetti sauce packet in my last package, Dad!
The teachers at my school were on strike for the last month, and just began teaching again on Monday after some threats from the government. I did my best to stay out of it, so I did a lot of work on my house! I finally got cement on my floors, and spent almost a week painting the inside walls to seal in the dust. Next up is making some shelves for my clothes and books, I'm ready to be finished living out of my suitcase.
I went to my first Zambian funeral this week, which was an interesting cultural experience. A woman in my village just a few compounds away passed away after being in the clinic for a week or so. After she passed away, everyone in the village visited the house to pay their respects. All of the women, including me, wore citenges (a piece of cloth in various colors and patterns worn like a beach towel around your waist). We entered the house where the body was, and sat with about 15-20 other women singing. Then, we went outside, and sat in silence outside the house for another 30 minutes. Many people remained at the house all day and night long, until burial the next morning. My Ba Mayo, who is the headwoman of the village, spent the entire day, night, and next day with the body and the family. It was an interesting experience, and I'm sure it will not be the last in my two years here!
I have two favorite children in my village. Their names are Ubulanda and Trusting. Ubulanda is actually not a child, he's a 22 year old with Down's syndrome. He's absolutely wonderful to hang out with, and I've been working on counting with him, so far he's only at 2. Unfortunately, he doesn't get to go to school, there is neither a teacher, nor the resources to get a teacher for him to learn. Lucky for me, he loves hanging out with me, so I get to see him on a daily basis. I've also taught him to high-five, which he, and the rest of the children love. Trusting is a two year old who lives one house over from mine. Every time he sees me, no matter how far away I am, he shouts "Ba Lola!" and usually comes running to me. Lately I've been giving the kids "sweeties" (the term used in Zambia for anything sweet), which is raisins. They come in my cereal and I don't like them, but the kids love 'em. It reminds me of Halloween in the states when the neighbors tried to be healthy and gave us raisins instead of candy. Luckily Zambian children will take anything I give them that's even remotely edible.
Work is the topic I'm procrastinating writing about. That's because there's not much of it, and it can be very frustrating. I won't complain about the difficulties, but instead, I'll tell you about the good parts! There's a school in Kasama that's I've been visiting every time I come to town, where my fellow PCV friend works, for kids with special needs. It's absolutely wonderful, and have gotten to know some of the students and really enjoy coming to town to visit. I've recently spoken to the head teacher about working with the physically disabled kids in their physiotherapy center. They have tons of equipment, and no one to work with the kids. There is a PT who comes about every 1 or 2 months, but they really want me to keep the program going, and even teach some of the teachers how to work with the kids as well. It will be great experience, especially since I've been contemplating going back to school for PT after the PC. First, I've got to figure out what I'm doing, but I'm very excited, even if it is a 30 km bike ride from my site!
Other work potential includes helping my school start a library, helping a community school (15 km deeper in the bush from me) finish their school building, and painting a giant mural of the world on the side of my school. Although work can be frustrating, I know things will come along, but everything just takes time here.
I'll be back in Kasama next week to celebrate America's independence with some other volunteers, so I'll try to get another post up with photos! Other than the rainy weather, I hope everyone is enjoying the summer!
ps. I LOVE getting snail mail here...hint hint!
No comments:
Post a Comment